Annual Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards Program
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Awards LuncheonThe Human Relations Commission annually gives awards to one student and one adult for contributions to the cause of bettering human relations in the Community.
Nominations for the 2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards were due by Friday, December 1, 2017. Awards will be presented at the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards Luncheon on Saturday, January 20, 2018, from 1:00 - 3:00 pm at the Marriott Hotel and Conference Center in Normal.
Tickets for the 2018 luncheon honoring Dr. King were available from City of Bloomington and Normal Human Relations Commission members beginning November 1. Ticket sales for this year's event have ended.
NominationsThe Human Relations Commission has established the Adult Human Relations award and the Youth I Have a Dream award to recognize the achievements of individuals who have made outstanding contributions to human relations causes.
Criteria for Nominees
- The nominee must have been a resident of Bloomington for two years immediately prior to nomination.
- Youth I Have a Dream nominees must be attending high school in Bloomington and show good academic achievement while accomplishing community activities.
- For Adult nominees, the activity for which the individual is being nominated must be personal and not a part of the individual’s work related duties.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Bloomington Human Relations Commissioners, staff, family members and past winners are not eligible.
- A demonstrated commitment to improving cooperation and fostering mutual respect among people of different races, religions, sexual preferences and abilities.
- Use of new and creative measures to fight discrimination, prejudice and the effects of past discrimination.
Congrats to Jordyn Blythe and Xavier Higgins, winners of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. "I Have a Dream" awards, and to Andre Hursey and the late Lorenzo Marshall, the recipients of the Adult awards.
Please support this event by taking advantage of sponsorship opportunities.