The projects listed below are either pending public input and council approval or have stages planned for the future.
Empire Street at Fairway Drive
Fairway Drive is scheduled to be resurfaced with asphalt in 2018. The intersection of Fairway and Empire and the north Frontage Road is currently problematic and will be further complicated with the introduction of the proposed bike lanes called for in the City’s adopted Bicycle Master Plan. Therefore, the City consulted with Lochmueller Group to study if there was a solution that would make this intersection function more safely and efficiently for all users.
The recommended solution includes a number of changes to Fairway Drive at this intersection.
1) A raised median will be constructed on the north leg of the intersection (similar to the existing south leg). Turn lanes will be extended to adequate lengths to accommodate the traffic. These improvements will greatly reduce the conflicting movements in the intersection and help it operate considerably smoother. The trade-off for this advantage is that the frontage road will be restricted to right-in/right-out movements.
2) Bike lanes will be added.
3) The lane configuration would be modified to provide a single southbound through lane across Empire Street to provide space for new bicycle lanes in each direction. The lane configuration for the northbound approach would remain unchanged; however, the raised median would need to be reconstructed due to a shift in alignment created by the bicycle lanes.
4) A new pedestrian crossing and associated sidewalk will be provided across the South Frontage Road.
City staff is currently working with IDOT to get an Intersection Design Study approved with the changes outlined above before this work is completed.
Fox Creek Road & Bridge Improvements: Danbury to Beich
The Fox Creek Road Bridge replacement is being proposed to provide pedestrian and bike access over the Union Pacific railroad and to increase the safety and capacity of Fox Creek Road. The Phase 2 design is in progress and awaiting resolution regarding the size of the bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad, which is being determined by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC).
Approximately 60% of the bridge replacement costs are eligible for reimbursement from the Illinois Commerce Commission’s (ICC) Grade Crossing Protection Fund (GCPF). It is expected that construction will begin sometime in 2019.
Planning and design is underway for traffic signals at the following intersections:
- Keaton Place / Auto Row Drive @ General Electric Road
Lutz Road Improvements
Planning and design is under way for some basic widening and drainage improvements for Lutz Road between Morris Avenue and the entrance to Luther Oaks. The design is funded using the City's Capital Improvement Fund.
Hamilton Road, Bunn Street to Commerce Parkway
Phase I engineering, planning and preliminary design work is under way in an effort to complete the 5 lane Hamilton Road arterial from Bunn Street on the west to Commerce Parkway on the east. This project includes crossing the Norfolk Southern Railway.
This project will utilize Surface Transportation Urban (STU) Funds and Motor Fuel Tax (MFT) Funds.