Collection of garbage carts began on Monday, March 3, 2014.
If you do not have a cart, call Public Works immediately at (309) 434-2225.
• If you did not sign up: The City and its vendor should have provided you with the largest cart, 95 gallons, as the default size.
*To switch sizes: Call Bloomington Public Works at (309) 434-2225 during business hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Fees are based on size: The current monthly fee is $16. If you choose the 35-gallon, it remains $16. For 65-gallon carts, the monthly fee is $20 as of May 1, 2015. For 95 gallon carts, it’s $23 a month as of May 1, 2015. Rates will increase in 2016.
* Cart sharing in apartments: Cart sharing is a voluntary program aimed at accommodating landlords, property managers and tenants of multi-family residences. A landlord may request up to one of the largest carts (95 gallon) for every two apartment units. Each unit will be billed at the lowest rate on the City’s fee list for solid waste. Landlords can group multiple apartment buildings or apartment houses if buildings are on the same lot or on adjacent lots that do not cross a street. All requests are subject to approval by the Director of Public Works. There will be no fee for switching carts under the cart-sharing program.
The City has produced a one-page form. Clip here to download it.
Note: The City owns the cart. You are not paying for the cart. You are paying for the array of refuse services.
Note 2: The cart-based fee is a replacement of the current flat fee. It is not an added fee.
• Upsize fee: You will be charged a $30 administrative fee if you ordered a smaller cart and then later decide to get a larger cart. If you change from a large cart to a smaller one, you will not be charged.
*Overloaded carts: The lid of the cart must be closed to prevent damage during collection. Garbage bags may be placed alongside the garbage carts if all your garbage does not fit in the cart. Starting May 1, those bags must be tagged with a $3 sticker.
• Stickers: The City sells stickers at City Hall for $3 each for additional bags of garbage used beyond the cart’s capacity. Bags with stickers are an addition, not a replacement for cart.
• You aren’t included, if…: If you live in an apartment complex with private collection, if you live within the core of Downtown and if you live in Bloomington Housing Authority Public Housing, you will not have cart service. For operational reasons, City crews will continue to collect at BHA and Downtown using the existing manual collection system. Residents in those cases are billed at the lowest rate.