Recycle Cart Requirements
- Please place the cart at least 3 feet from any tree, pole, mailbox, fire hydrant and parked vehicles.
- If you lean anything against the container, it cannot be lifted for dumping.
- Remember to place the handle of the cart away from the street.
- Do not drag the cart when moving it. Tilt and roll it with the lid closed.
- Keep lid closed at all times.
- Store the cart in the backyard, garage or a location not visible from the street.
- Do not store the cart near a fireplace, furnace, grill or other heat source.
- Clean the cart periodically with water.
- Do not place hot ashes, solvents, paint or other flammable liquids in the cart.
- Do not use the cart to hold hazardous materials such as: dead animals, chemicals, oils, liquids and medical waste (exposed needles, used bandages, etc.)
- Do not place bulk waste, yard waste or household garbage in the cart.
- Do not fill the cart so full that the lid will not fully close. The lid MUST be closed so the truck operator can empty the cart without spilling recycled materials.
- Do not allow children or pets to play in or on the cart.
Some plastics that have not been accepted previously, namely #4 and #5 yogurt cups, margarine tubs, and similar non-narrow neck containers can now be placed out for collection with other recyclable items. All #6 plastic products are still not acceptable.
For a complete list of recyclable items, please click here.
No electronic items will be collected at the curbside in Bloomington per State of Illinois regulations. McLean County residents may use the Town of Normal's electronics drop-off center for some, but not all, electronics. Follow this link for details on the Normal drop-off: https://www.normal.org/index.aspx?NID=484.
What about the boxes?
Appliances and other wonderful items sometimes come in massive cardboard boxes. The larger boxes do not fit in our recycling trucks. Required: Boxes must be broken down and cut into pieces no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet. Put the cardboard pieces in your recycling cart only if you are still able to close the lid. If you cannot close the lid, leave the box pieces in a neat pile next to your cart. Or, take them directly to Midwest Fiber in Normal or the Public Works drop-off facility behind the Bloomington Public Library on East Street.
For further information about recycling in the Bloomington/Normal area please visit:
- Ecology Action Center, or at 309-454-3169
Click on the video below to see how single stream recycling works.
***Please call the Public Works Department at 434-2225 with additional questions on how to prepare recyclable products for collection.***
Items Not Listed
For questions about the disposal of items not listed, contact Public Works at 434-2225 between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM weekdays.
Recycle collection is conducted every other week (bi-weekly) on the same day as garbage collection beginning at 6:00 a.m. Recycle collection is NOT collected on Christmas Day. Recycle regularly collected on Christmas Day will be collected on the next business day, along with the recycle regularly scheduled for bi-weekly collection that day. Recycle is collected on all other holidays that fall on a weekday. (See Recycle/Bulk/Brush/Garbage Map & Schedule.)