City of Bloomington Halloween Hours
Be Safe! Be Seen! Have Fun!
The City of Bloomington Police Department has set 5 PM - 8 PM as “official” trick-or-treat hours on Wednesday, October 31, 2012.
Parents are asked to discuss trick-or-treat safety rules with their children prior to any door-to-door activity. Those rules include:
- Limit door-to-door activity to your own neighborhood and/or homes of friends and relatives.
- Walk on sidewalks or as near to the curb as possible.
- Observe safety rules when crossing streets.
- Stay in well-lighted areas, visiting only homes with porch lights on.
- Younger children should be accompanied by adults.
- Children should never go inside anyone’s home to collect treats.
- Wear reflective colored costumes or apply reflective patches to costumes.
- To avoid tripping, do not wear loose or overly-long costumes.
- Make sure masks fit properly so that children can see -- and hear – clearly.
Better yet, use face paint instead of masks.
- To avoid injuries, use costume props made of foam rubber, rather than wood or hard plastic.
- Be aware that pets might not recognize costumed children and could be frightened.
- Parents should inspect treats before they are consumed by children.
- Have children carry flashlights (and teach children how to properly use them).
The Bloomington Police Department will partner with Eastland Mall to offer an alternative to door-to-door trick-or-treating. Children in costume can collect treats from participating Eastland Mall merchants from 5 PM - 7 PM Halloween night.
See here for Halloween Safety Tips from the Bloomington Police Department.
Have a Happy Halloween!