Block Parties

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Block party petitions are available from the City Clerk Department. City of Bloomington petition forms must be filed with the City Clerk at least two week prior to the block party. Please read through the regulations governing block parties.

Regulations Governing Block Parties

  1. Persons desiring to hold a Block Party should submit a petition containing signatures from 90% of all families residing in the block in question. It is required that this petition be submitted at least two weeks prior to the date scheduled for the party. The petition should contain the location and the hours that the party will be held. It should also list the names of person(s) designated as a contact who will assume responsibility for the barricades and the conduct of the party.

  2. Block parties will only be considered if the street to be blocked lies from an intersecting street on one end to an intersecting street on the other end to allow vehicles to detour around the block party. Blocking only a portion of the street will not be allowed. Only local streets will be considered for the holding of Block parties which may be scheduled between the hours of 12 Noon and Dusk. Barricades must be removed from the street at dusk. Tables, chairs, basketball hoops etc. shall not be placed in the street prior to noon on the day of the requested Block party.

  3. Upon approval by the City Manager, and the required refundable barricade deposit of $150 is received, (deposit effective January 1, 2005). It will be their responsibility to install the barricades at the appropriate place. While the barricades are up, no vehicles shall be parked on the street inside the blocked-off area. All tables, chairs and other items shall be placed on one side of the street in order to leave a 15 foot wide emergency lane open for Fire, Police or any emergency vehicle. The barricades will be picked up by the City on the following workday which is usually Monday.

  4. No sound electronic amplification system shall be permitted.

  5. Consumption of alcohol or possession of alcohol in an open container is not permitted on a public right of way. Public right of way includes sidewalk and parkway areas.

  1. A traffic volume of 500 vehicles a day or greater as indicated on the latest City of Bloomington Traffic Volume Map. This map is available here.

  2. Any street segment that is part of the classified system as indicated in the latest City Transportation plan published by the MCRPC.

  3. Any section of street with a speed limit of 35 mph and above.

  4. Any section of street that is on the B/N Public Transit Routes.

  5. Any one-way section of street must apply for a Special Events Permit no later than 60 days prior to the event.

    Anyone interested in holding an event on any section of street with any of the above characteristics should contact the City Clerk's office for a special events application.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer