Information about the City of Bloomington's Amusement Tax is available here, including links to the relevant code, registration and remittance forms, and frequently asked questions.
If you need any additional information please contact the Finance Department at (309) 434-2233.
Hotel/Motel Tax FAQs
The Hotel/Motel Tax is a 6.0% tax of the rent charged for the privilege and use of renting a hotel or motel room within the City of Bloomington for each twenty-four (24) hour period or any portion thereof for which a daily room charge is made.
The City's tax is intended to be applied to the same tax base as found on State Form RHM-1 [Hotel Operators' Occupation Tax Return].
For further guidance, refer to City Municipal Code, Chapter 39, Article VIII.
Since the City presently intends to use the same tax base as the State of Illinois, please refer to Illinois State Statute and State Publications.
However, as an example, the City's Hotel/Motel tax shall not be levied and imposed upon any person who rents a hotel or motel room for more than thirty (30) consecutive days or to a person who works and lives in the same hotel or motel.
It is the responsibility of any business owner who thinks they may be subject to this tax to implement and remit this tax to the City.
Although the Hotel/Motel Tax can be passed on to patrons, the business owner is liable for collecting and submitting this tax to the City. Each Business will need to determine the best mechanism for charging and collecting this tax.
To register, use the Hotel/Motel Tax Registration Form.
Note: The City retains the right to audit the books of any business subject to this tax as outlined in the municipal code.
No. Hotel/Motel Taxes must be submitted separately from any other tax you may be liable for.
You must use the Hotel/Motel Tax Remittance Form.
Not at this time. Instead, forms can be downloaded from our website and filled out online where tax can be calculated automatically and printed out.
Not at this time. Instead, either:
- Mail your form along with a check, or
- Bring in your form to the Finance Department along with cash or a check.
The Hotel/Motel Tax must be remitted by the 25th day of the month following the month of collection.
- If you remit by mail, it must be postmarked by the 25th
- If you bring in your form to City Hall, we must receive it on the 25th
For example, Hotel/Motel Taxes collected in the month of August must be remitted on or before the 25th of September.
If taxes are remitted after the 25th of the month:
- A 5% late payment penalty fee is applied, AND
- A 2% interest charge for each month payment is not received.
- Complete the monthly Hotel/Motel Tax Remittance Form
- Attach support documents [State Forms ST-1, ST-2]
- Attach Illinois Department of Revenue Form RHM-1 [and RHM-7 if applicable]
- Sign the form
- Write a check
- Mail or drop off all documents by the 25th of the month,
BY MAIL: IN-PERSON: City of Bloomington City Hall - Finance Department ATTN: Hotel/Motel Tax Collections Room 100 PO BOX 3157 109 E. Olive Street Bloomington, IL 61702-3157 Bloomington, IL 61704
- Identify whether your business is liable to collect and remit Hotel/Motel Taxes.
- Register your business with the Finance Department.
- Collect and remit taxes to the City's Finance Department.