Spotlight: Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The 2019 McLean County Household Hazardous Waste Collection will be held on September 7, 2019. In a change from past practice, the 2019 event will be appointment-only in order to regulate traffic flow more evenly. The appointment deadline is at noon on Friday, September 6.
Full event details including event location will be shared as part of the appointment confirmation process.
- PARTICIPATION IS LIMITED TO MCLEAN COUNTY RESIDENTS: Illinois regulations mandate that only residential wastes may be collected—no business or commercially generated wastes can be accepted.
- ITEMS ACCEPTED: Oil-based paints, yard care chemicals, electronics (limit of one tube-style TV or monitor per household), mercury containing items, CFLs and fluorescent tubes, asbestos, harsh household cleaners, poisons, spray paints and other aerosols, medicines, and corrosives.
- ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED: Latex paint, tires, agricultural chemicals, propane tanks, business wastes, smoke detectors, explosives, farm machinery oil, fireworks, fire extinguishers, lead acid batteries, medical wastes, sharps, and needles.
- LATEX PAINT IS NOT HAZARDOUS: Dispose of latex paint safely and legally by drying it out completely and then putting in in the trash. Pour it onto several layers of old newspaper in a thin layer for quick drying.
- HELP YOUR NEIGHBORS CARPOOL YOUR HHW: Help keep the lines short and wait to a minimum by bringing materials from multiple households in one car. Please help neighbors who are elderly, have mobility restrictions, or do not have cars.
- VOLUNTEER: We need your help to keep traffic flowing smoothly–individuals 18 years old and older sign up to volunteer (click here).